ping probs
Select messages from # through # Forum FAQ
[/[Print]\]
Goto page Previous  1, 2  :| |:
Real Snipers Website Community -> Technical Help

#26: No icon Re: ping probs Author: CrestedNewt=RS=Location: Essex PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 4:58 pm
    —

ZR1=RS=  wrote  (View  Post):                
I  tested  twice  and  as  you  can  see.

The  first  is  with  lag  enabled  and  the  second  is  without  ?Smile  ?Smile  ?J/k  no  both  tests  within  2  mins  

Please  login  to  see  this  image.
Get  registered  or  Log  in

Dave                

Seeing  that  both  tests  were  performed  on  the  same  network  within  2  mins,  I  would  say  that  it  is  a  routing  table  problem  at  the  node  that  has  a  response  of  greater  than  200ms.  This  could  be  caused  by  several  factors,  but  the  most  likely  answer  is  that  there  was  a  large  load  placed  on  this  router.  There  is  nothing  that  can  really  be  done  about  these  things  in  a  cost  effective  manner.  Obviously,  the  less  routes  that  your  TCP/IP  packet  has  to  travel,  the  less  likely  there  will  be  lag.  However,  each  EU  (that's  teckie  for  u  and  me)  will  have  a  different  route  to  the  same  server.

Think  of  it  this  way  -  the  RS  Server  is  hosted  at  Picadilly  Circus.  For  me  to  get  there,  from  near  Stansted  Airport,  I  would  have  to  go  to  the  M11  and  down  to  London.  Depending  upon  traffic,  I  could  choose  many  different  ways  of  getting  there,  M25  -  A1  or  A10/A12/A13/Embankment  based  upon  the  logic  (or  lack  of)  that  I  have  in  my  grey  matter.  

Now  change  my  start  point,  lets  say  Heathrow  Airport.  I  would  start  by  geting  onto  the  M4  and  then  follow  that  onto  the  A4  until  I  got  to  Picadilly  Circus.  

Both  start  points  have  completly  different  routes  but  the  final  outcome  would  be  that  we  would  both  get  to  the  same  end  point.  So,  now  lets  think  a  bit  further  ....  Lets  do  the  same  excercise  at  4AM  on  a  Sunday  Morning  -  nice  and  easy.  Try  the  same  at  8AM  on  a  Monday  morning  and  there  will  be  delays  as  there  is  heavy  traffic.  Hence  -  LAG!!

Hope  that  this  makes  sense,  If  not,  just  call  me  a  buffoon!!

Cheers
 Tim

Real Snipers Website Community -> Technical Help

output generated using printer-friendly topic mod. All times are GMT + 10 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2  :| |:
Page 2 of 2